DRAGONIMAGE

DRAGONIMAGE

February 2, 2013

Mementos : An Excerpt From Io's Journal


š First Day of the Fire Moon of Pahep Year 749 A.E.
(01.FMP.749)

I woke feeling terribly well rested at around 11am. I called for Saffron, but there was no answer. I looked out the window and immediately realized how late it was, the sun was already nearly halfway up the in sky! I put on my clothes as quickly as I could and raced down the street towards the library.

Upon arriving Sonlan asked me if I felt strong enough to use the orb again. I consented, and we sat at a small table in the corner to scry.

This time I saw Ulvrain on the ground, she was burned and bloody. I saw Ifgar rushing to help her up. I saw a mansion, with screams of terror coming from inside. I saw the faces of my comrades, locked in the heat of battle. I saw the great mountain collapse, and many dwarves being crushed under the falling rocks.

“This looks very bad; I don’t think our little company will be nearly enough to save these people. I am going to go visit my contacts in town and see if I cannot gather up a few additions to our party. If the city cannot help, surely its people will.”

After writing Azura another letter to keep her updated, I left the library and headed straight for the adventurers guild.

On my way out I ran into Saffron, who looked a terrible mess. “Oh thank goodness I’ve caught you, there is terrible news! A huge section of the mountain has collapsed in on itself! Everyone is in a panic!”
“By the gods! When did this happen?!”
“A scouting party just came in this morning they said it happened yesterday!”
“This is not good at all. Please, go back to the Inn and alert me the moment our company comes back. Do not let them leave the inn. There isn’t much time.”

The adventurers’ guild was nearly empty when I arrived. Godrick, probably the oldest (yet spryest) human I have ever met, greeted me in the main hall. I asked him if there were any members of the guild who would be interested in going on an adventure deep into the mountains. There would be adventure, possible death, and best of all, great amounts of treasure.

“You mean the mountain that collapsed rather recently? There is something sinister going on in there.”
“Uhh... Well, yes… that’s the one…”
“Well of course I’d love to go, but my bones are too weak. I’m afraid I wouldn’t be of much use. Most of the members of the guild heard of the orc war going on and went to check it out for themselves. I’m sorry but there is no one here who could go with you dear.”

We said our goodbyes and I set off to see my new friends at the bard’s guild.

Gil, a very naughty satyr and leader of the bard’s guild, greeted me. “Aye what a pleasure it is seeing your fine eyes around here so soon. Please, tell me what use I can be to you. My dear, I’ll try anything if it makes you cry out. ”

Sigh… Gil always has a way of making me blush. I tried my best to ask him for help in the mountain, but he said most of his bards were big pusses that wouldn’t care too much for the dangers of a recently collapsed mountain. He did mention that his son might be interested in going… but he hadn’t seen him in several days. “Probably down at the docks wetting his willy again. That boy gets more like his old dad every day.”

I had seen Finn down at the docks several times before. He was always singing bawdy songs and getting kicked out of bars. He was quite the chap, that’s for sure. He wasn’t someone I really cared to have along, but I was planning on heading down to the taverns on the docks to see if I could rustle up a few adventurers who found death laughable.

I made my way down to the docks just as it was starting to get dark. As I approached the tavern called Catch of the Day, I heard a crack of thunder and then saw a young man thrown out of the door. “Finn you stinking son of a horse, how dare you grab her like that in front of me! You salty little bastard, I’ll kill you!”

The satyr stood up quickly and pulled out a pan flute. He started playing a soothing tune on it, and though the woman was fighting it, she began to calm down.

“Finn!” I shouted. “Finn! I’m so glad I found you here.”

She spotted me and her rage was peaked once more, “Is this wench another one of your 2 copper whores you keep bringing to MY pub Finn? I’ll have you know he’s mine you sea wench. I’ll knock you so hard……”

Finn played a little louder and she started to appear sleepy. At his request she walked back into the inn.

“Wow, you certainly know how to pick them. She was quite feisty, eh?”

“Well, she was a decent specimen, but now you on the other hand. My dear, I don’t believe we’ve met.”

“Ahh, yes... My name is Io, I am a bard like yourself, I was sent by your father to find you. He says you’ve been shirking your duties at the guild.”

“Well I suppose I have lost track of the days, is it the Moon of Pahep already? Time flies when you are having fun… Now, my elvish rose, what kind of services can I please you with? There is a little inn nearby that is quite cozy if you know what I mean…”

“Uhh, no. No thank you. You see I am actually looking for adventurers. Your father said you might be interested in a quest.”

“I’ll go wherever you want me to buttercup.”

“Yes, well that being said, my company and I will be delving into the mountains in the east. There has been some trouble there the last few weeks, and I have friends there that need saving.”

“Oh, well, you didn’t seem like the type that was into orgies, but I suppose I can work something out…”

“NO! You misunderstand me sir, I am not the least bit interested in your bedroom antics. I am completely serious.”

“Well if you want me so badly perhaps an arrangement can be struck? It’s been weeks since I’ve been with an elven girl… I do like them tall…”

“Sigh… Why must you be so difficult? Stand aside, I am going into the tavern to try and find some REAL adventurers.”

“Well baby, you always knows where to find Finn when your loins are in need of some servicing.”

I entered the tavern, which had a stage at one side of the room. I wasted no time in getting on stage and singing the following song, which I made up on the spot:

Ï SONG: TO THE CRUMBLING MOUNTAINS
Come with me to the caverns below
Where adventure waits, come on and let’s go!
There are dwarves and drow
And they are out of control
The mountain is crashing
And pain we must dole
All you strong warriors come on with me
We must stop the mountain crashing into the sea
There are slugs and bulletts under the ground
They are causing mischief, their skulls we must pound.
So let us take off, on our feet we must fly
Or all of Avalon will surely die.

Unfortunatly, everyone was so drunk they didn’t take me seriously at all. They loved my song however, and I made about 100 gold. Not bad I suppose.

It was getting late, so I went back to the inn where I found Sonlan, I told him that I had had no luck recruiting people for our adventure. We were sharing one of Phrenk’s specialties when Orion, the captain of the guard, entered the inn.

“Io, the Queen and I have gone over your letters, we want to help but as I said before we are already spread thin, and if what you say is true, we can’t jeopardize the security of the city. However, if you are still planning on entering the mountain, please keep us updated, and we will send help as soon as we are able. We have some chattering stones, so even when you are in the mountain you will be able to contact us. Your companions will be welcome to anything from our armory. If there is anything else we can do to help please let me know.”

I thanked him, and after he left Sonlan and I retired for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment