DRAGONIMAGE

DRAGONIMAGE

February 2, 2013

Mementos : An Excerpt From Io's Journal


š Forty-Fourth Day of the Fire Moon of Rosalan Year 749 A.E.
(44.FMR.749)

Saffron, Serene and I had spent the early part of the day touring the city, and getting acquainted with some of the guilds. We then headed out to the library, for I had some research I desperately wanted to do, and Serene wanted Saffron to read to her.

This was where Sonlan found us. He introduced himself, and pulled Saffron aside to say something to her. He briefly explained his situation, and at my order, Saffron took Serene back to the inn.

I should at this time like to make note of the fact that Saffron had previously told me of Sonlan, whom she described as a ‘wizened old man’. This is curious because when he came to us he could not have been more than 45 or 50 years of age. Also rather curious was that he claimed to have been away for 2 moons; however his adventure with Saffron took place merely 2 weeks past.

Sonlan asked me if I would be willing to see what was in his scrying orb, and I agreed. I have never done such a thing before, and my, was it exhilarating. 

After strange feeling of being pulled into the orb, I saw many horrific things, I saw a town called Blue Star Hollow, which I believe is in the valleys to the east. I saw dwarf and drow alike running in fear, a shower of arrows, and much screaming and suffering.

Upon returning to the library, I was out of breath and very distressed. Sonlan informed me that sometimes the events the orb shows are in the past, sometimes in the future, and sometimes are of things that are happening in the present. “There is not really any way to tell which is which.” “Then let us hope these are merely premonitions of what may come to pass, should we do nothing.” 

I explained that my friends were out on another mission, and I did not know when they would be back. Time was short, but there was not much that we could do on our own. We resigned ourselves to research the situation so that when the time came to venture into the mountain, we would be prepared.

We went down into the bowels of the library (where all the really exciting scrolls are) and started digging in. While there we learned the following:

v  There was a war of fiends and devils in the general location of the mountain some 300 years ago
v  This war was likely being fought over territory.

Saffron came downstairs with some hot tea and cheese, and told us that it was nearly 3AM. We decided to call it a night, and meet back at the library in the morning. I told Sonlan that I might be a little late, for early in the morning I was going to go to seek an audience with the Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment